Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Looking For Something?

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The "FIRE" Incident

So let’s just say that if we hadn’t had been home on Sunday, or if we had been napping like we normally do on a Sunday afternoon, we might not have anywhere to live right now. We were being watched over and blessed because we were home and not only that, but we were awake thanks to waiting for my friend Heather to come over to pick up some stuff.

Okay so the story goes that we were all in our living room chatting and all of a sudden I smelled burning metal or something like that and I heard a crackling sound coming from our bedroom and I thought maybe it was the air conditioner, but it wasn’t even on, and all of a sudden I look down underneath our desk and saw that our UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) was on fire!

I yelled, “Omigosh! Dan! Fire!”

He yelled back, “Grab the baking soda!” and then without even thinking he dashed under the desk to unplug the UPS from the wall, which isn’t an easy feat seeing as the plug was behind desk and he had to reach under it, meanwhile the flames are roaring in the UPS.

My heart was going a mile a minute as all of my fears about fires were running thru my head. When I was a kid I used to have major nightmares about fires (and about drowning) and even day dreams about being caught in a fire or that our house burnt down or whatever, but it was enough to traumatize me for life; so when this all happened all of a sudden, in a matter of seconds, it was enough to start major heart palpitations.

Dan said that it was a very dangerous situation, cause the battery inside (which is a pretty big battery) could’ve exploded and hurt him or me really badly. For those of you who don’t know what a UPS is, it’s used for back up power, in case of a power outage and so we keep our computer plugged into it. Anyways we’re all safe and I’m a little more traumatized, and none of our stuff or the apartment was damaged at all, but our hearts are full of gratitude, from this one tender mercy of the Lord; to have been at the right place, at the right time, in order to avoid catastrophe.

Anyways, Dan took the UPS apart to see where the source of the fire came from and I took some pictures of it. He also checked online to see if there were any recalls on it and another model was, but not ours. So he called the manufactures of the product to tell them that our unit caught on fire and they were all in shock and the guy who took his call, had to look up what the procedure was on a situation like this was, and so he’s like, “Well, we’ll send you another unit and you can send the one you have to us.” And I’m like, “I don’t want another one of those things in my house!!!” Needless to say, neither does Dan. So we’ll probably eBay it. Although, should we feel morally obligated to tell the buyer that our last model, in a freak way, caught on fire?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Total Pageviews