Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Looking For Something?

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Question:

What do you get when you have 2 temporarily single girls, who are both huge fans of ELO (For you dumb dumbs out there, that’s the Electric Light Orchestra), both nostalgic and reminiscent of cheesy movies, and both available on a Wednesday night?

Answer: A “Secret friend”- XANADU party, that’s what!


Everybody all around the world, gotta tell you what I just heard
There's gonna be a party all over the world
I got a message on the radio, but where it came from I don't really know
And I heard these voices calling all over the world

All over the world, everybody got the word
Everybody everywhere is gonna feel tonight

Everybody walkin' down the street, everybody movin' to the beat
They're gonna get hot down in the U.S.A. (New York, Detroit, L.A.)
We're gonna take a trip across the sea, everybody come along with me
We're gonna hit the night down in gay Paris

London, Hamburg, Paris, Rome, Rio, Hong Kong, Tokyo
L.A., New York, Amsterdam, Monte Carlo, Shard End and (Weiser, Idaho-that one's for Sarah!)

All over the world, everybody got the word
Everybody everywhere is gonna feel tonight

Everybody all around the world, gotta tell you what I just heard
Everybody walkin' down the street, I know a place where we all can meet
Everybody gonna have a good time, everybody will shine till the daylight



Yes I know that Xanadu is not an Oscar worthy musical or even deserves more than 2 ½ stars out of 5, but it is one of my most beloved movies of all time. True it’s not the best acting we’ve seen from Miss Olivia Newton-John or the late Gene Kelly (and I think the only acting I’ve ever seen Michael Beck do) but it all gets saved by the awesome soundtrack of the film, thanks to the wonderful 70’s/80’s “synthesized” sounds, lyrically profound and perfectly haunting-“goose bumps on your arms” melodies of ELO.

So while you’re all sitting on your couches, trapped in the TV Land of American Idol, like the rest of the world usually is on a Wednesday night, my “Secret Friend” (my special friend-said in a certain silly voice) and I will be drawn into world of the best fantasy romance musical of the 80’s; the roller-skating movie of the universe, known simply as Xanadu.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Total Pageviews